Databias is an email specialist that provides Domain registration, Hosting services, Microsoft 365 Licenses and Email Signatures accompanied by services and support. We respect your privacy and take the protection of personal data information very seriously.
The purpose of this policy is to describe the way that we collect, store, use, and protect data that can be associated with you or another specific natural or juristic person and can be used to identify you or that person (personal data / information). We may instruct third party operators from time to time to undertake certain processing activities relating to personal information.
This policy applies to you if you are:
- a visitor to our website
- a prospect who contacts us by phone, email or any other communication channels or
- a customer who has ordered the goods or services that we provide. You may not order or use any of our services, or our website if you do not accept this policy.
The following policy applies to subscribers of our services:
To register for our services you will have to provide us with personally identifiable information to enable us to provide you with our services. The information you provide will be entered into our database. We will not make your personally identifiable information available to anyone unless required by law to do so.
This Information may include:
- your name and surname;
- your email address;
- your telephone number;
- your company name, company registration number, and VAT number;
- your postal address or street address;
- your username and password
Information Collected from email
When you send us personally identifying information in an e-mail, we use the information you provide only to help us gather the information you might request. In an effort to respond to your request, various people within Databias may view information you submit. Once received, the information to your email is protected in accordance with law, (e.g. Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), the Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information Act).
This is information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you visit our web site to read web/html pages or download information, we automatically collect and store the following non-identifying information:
- The Internet protocol (IP) address from which you access our web site. An IP address is a unique number that is automatically assigned to the computer you are using whenever you are surfing the web.
- The type of browser, such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla, and operating system, such as Windows Vista or Mac OS X, used to access our site.
- The date and time our site is accessed, for the purpose of traffic and statistical monitoring.
- The pages visited, for the purpose of improving the usefulness of our web site by providing helpful links and removing pages that are not read.
This information does not identify you personally. We maintain the above information in system logs. We use this information to make our site more useful to visitors by learning the number of visitors to our site, the number of pages served, and the level of demand for specific pages. We do not track or record information about identifiable individuals and their visits.
Disclosure of personal information
Databias will at no stage disclose any customer's personal information unless mandated to do so by the jurisdiction of the sovereign country in which the customer's business resides and at the behest of the government of South Africa.
Disclosure of a domain registrant's details will only be allowed under the conditions specified by the ISPA's code of conduct.
Security, Intrusion, and Detection
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, our computer system employs software programs and hardware devices to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
We limit the amount of personal data collected only to what is fit for the purpose. We restrict, secure and control all of our information assets against unauthorised access, damage, loss or destruction; whether physical or electronic. We authorize access to personal data only for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities.
We retain personal data for a period of five years to respond to your requests and for longer periods only if required by law. If we retain your personal data for historical or statistical purposes, we ensure that the personal data cannot be used further. While in our possession, together with your assistance, we try to maintain the accuracy of your personal data.
In the event of a data breach, we will notify you within 72 hours of the breach and the steps taken to resolve the issue.
Supervisory Authority in South Africa
In South Africa, the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) impacts technology processes and the manner in which employees process personal information. The fundamental principles of POPIA, to which we abide, are set out below:
- Personal information may only be used for the purpose agreed with your customers and employees.
- Marketing by means of unsolicited e-mail is prohibited unless certain provisions apply – organisations need to implement opt-in and opt-out strategies.
- Personal information may only be retained for as long as necessary – organisations need to specify retention periods.
- Organisations should not process more personal information than is necessary.
- Processing of special personal information is prohibited unless certain provisions apply.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Supervisory Authority. See our Supervisory Authority contact details below:
Information Regulator JD House, 27 Stiemens Street Braamfontein, 2001 Johannesburg complaints.IR@justice.gov.za www.justice.gov.za/
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the above.
Updated: 22 August 2021
Our latest news
Email security is core to our business at Databias and we have implemented all possible protection protocols necessary to protect your email from threats like spam, phishing and email spoofing. There are three key layers that we use to protect your email from a data breach.
Latest self-help article
Migrating to 365? Here is what you need to know.
Timing is everything. It is key to set up the new mail box and route the email to Microsoft 365 / Office 365 before backing up the previous mail box and importing it. A few duplicates are better then lost email.